Friday, October 28, 2011

" Hip Hop Battlefield Goes To Soldier Field, Part 13 "



Back in 1996 Grav repped Chicago to the fullest on his debut album, "Down To Earth"...

Grav wasn't the most explosive MC, but he maintained a solid flow, rode beats nicely, and rocked a street savvy presence that deserved attention (No Homo)...

One of the highlights of Down To Earth was a cut entitled "City To City featuring Lil Ray & Al Tariq....It also featured production from a unknown producer at the time that goes by the name Kanye West...

If Kanye would have stayed in this lane of beat making, I probably would take him somewhat serious in 2011.......Instead he chose to do what so many other producers do : FLIP THE SCRIPT.....

HA....

Take a listen to "City To City" and reminisce when your boy Yeezy was rocking without all the motherfuckin extras...Sure shot single material if you ask me....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

word Drasar...I still have this album on record, solid LP, also I think Kanye was a co-producer.

Drasar Monumental said...

Nah, Kanye produced this track along with a few others.....

Now he just sucks.....

HA-
D

don king said...

I've been searching for this track for years since I first heard it in (I think) 96! I always assumed it was an Al Tariq record...possibly due to the fact the chorus includes the phrase "the Gods connect"...I thought it must be something to do with Al Tariq's God Connections LP, possibly a remix or something. So of course, it's always eluded me!

The fact that Kanye had a hand in this is interesting - I didn't think much of his previous two albums but he's got enough great material under his belt for me to classify him as a quality producer, the fact his name is on this just confirms that really!