Tuesday, November 30, 2010

" Golden State Warriors, Part 6 "



Here are a couple "Above The Law" facts that you might not be aware of........

1..Big Hutch's uncle is acclaimed Motown artist, Willie Hutch....

2..Above The Law were the first crew that I ever heard used the term "Balling"........

3..Hutch is the inventor of the term "G-Funk", not Dr.Dre or his younger brother Warren G........I commented about this on a previous post.....

Hip Hop Dx recently sat down with Hutch to discuss his production style, new schoolers, and upcoming projects....

" DX: What was the inspiration for that record, or why that direction for that song?

Big Hutch: Well see, one thing you gotta realize is this, there’s not a direction when I make a record. If I wake up in the morning and say I wanna rap to a Rock track, I rap to it. I’m not in a box. You gotta understand this, I’m the architect of G-Funk. You can’t tell me what G-Funk is. If I want G-Funk to be blowing on a whistle and beating on a box, that’s G-Funk, because I invented it. I am the architect.

DX: I thought Warren Griffin, [Warren G], was the architect?

Big Hutch: I am the architect of that. Warren Griffin used to sleep on my floor. I am the architect of G-Funk. So when people tell me what I should do and what I should not do, I tell ‘em shut up. I go to the studio and I make records based upon how I feel… And one thing that Eazy taught me while I was at Ruthless [Records], he said, “Look at it like this, Hutch: one day you walked in here and you didn’t have one fan. What did you come in here to do it for? Because of what you felt like doing. Keep doing that and you’ll always be good with yourself.” …I’ll keep it real with you, homie. I went in and cut “Electric Lady” from my heart, not to trick nobody, not because people is on my shit, but because I heard the beat - I heard it in my head, wanted to cut it, and did it and put it out there to the world. I feel comfortable with you saying I don’t like it, Hutch, because I did what I wanna do from my heart".

Read the rest of the interview HERE...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hutch is the inventor of the term "G-Funk"

Yep and he never got his due, part of the reason I don't really rate Dre much.

Dope post D.

Drasar Monumental said...

In my opinion Dre hasn't done anything fresh since the release of "The Chronic"......

Thanks for checking in famz...

Peace-
D