Tuesday, April 20, 2010

" R.I.P. Keith Elam "



Wow, I definitely wasn't expecting this to happen...

Guru passed away yesterday after a long bout with cancer......This is a monumental loss to the entire Hip Hop nation....I was hoping that one day Premier and Guru could bury the hatchet and continue to build on their legacy...Now that day will never happen, unfortunately...

I'm feeling really horrible about this situation, there will be no more post today...R.I.P. Keith Elam..


* Here is a parting letter Guru left for all of his fans, supporters, etc.......

" I, Guru, am writing this letter to my fans, friends and loved ones around the world. I have had a long battle with cancer and have succumbed to the disease. I have suffered with this illness for over a year. I have exhausted all medical options.

I have a non-profit organization called Each One Counts dedicated to carrying on my charitable work on behalf of abused and disadvantaged children from around the world and also to educate and research a cure for this terrible disease that took my life. I write this with tears in my eyes, not of sorrow but of joy for what a wonderful life I have enjoyed and how many great people I have had the pleasure of meeting.

My loyal best friend, partner and brother, Solar, has been at my side through it all and has been made my health proxy by myself on all matters relating to myself. He has been with me by my side on my many hospital stays, operations, doctors visits and stayed with me at my home and cared for me when I could not care for myself. Solar and his family is my family and I love them dearly and I expect my family, friends, and fans to respect that, regardless to anybody's feelings on the matter. It is my wish that counts. This being said I am survived by the love of my life, my sun KC, who I trust will be looked after by Solar and his family as their own. Any awards or tributes should be accepted, organized approved by Solar on behalf myself and my son until he is of age to except on his own.

I do not wish my ex-DJ to have anything to do with my name likeness, events tributes etc. connected in anyway to my situation including any use of my name or circumstance for any reason and I have instructed my lawyers to enforce this. I had nothing to do with him in life for over 7 years and want nothing to do with him in death. Solar has my life story and is well informed on my family situation, as well as the real reason for separating from my ex-DJ. As the sole founder of GangStarr, I am very proud of what GangStarr has meant to the music world and fans. I equally am proud of my Jazzmatazz series and as the father of Hip-Hop/Jazz. I am most proud of my leadership and pioneering efforts on Jazzmatazz 4 for reinvigorating the Hip-Hop/Jazz genre in a time when music quality has reached an all time low.

Solar and I have toured in places that I have never been before with GangStarr or Jazzmatatazz and we gained a reputation for being the best on the planet at Hip-Hop/Jazz, as well as the biggest and most influential Hip-Hop/Jazz record with Jazzmatazz 4 of the decade to now. The work I have done with Solar represents a legacy far beyond its time. And we as a team were not afraid to push the envelope. To me this is what true artists do! As men of honor we stood tall in the face of small mindedness, greed, and ignorance.

As we fought for music and integrity at the cost of not earning millions and for this I will always be happy and proud, and would like to thank the million fans who have seen us perform over the years from all over the world. The work I have done with Solar represents a legacy far beyond its time and is my most creative and experimental to date. I hope that our music will receive the attention it deserves as it is some of the best work I have done and represents some of the best years of my life ".

4 comments:

diggs81 said...

"I'm gonna make it god damnit
Out in B-R-double-O-K-Lyn, The Planet
They never fake it just slam it
Out in B-R-O-O-K-Lyn, The Planet"

He made it alright, and I have to give thanks for all the gems he gave us.


R.I.P. Keith Elam/GURU

Drasar Monumental said...

" Actions have reactions don't be so quick to judge / you might not know the problems people don't speak of "......."Moment Of Truth"

Wow- still in shock brother......Time to play Gang Starr records all day/ all fuckin year.....

BABOON BOOM BAP said...

R-I-POWER GURU IM VERRY SAD I ACTUALLY SHED TEARS A SAD DAY RIP 2 MY FELLOW CANCER KEITH E FOUR CORNAS I LOVED HIM

Drasar Monumental said...

Cant even front- I shed a tiny tear too after listening to a grip of Gang Starr shit today....

The only other Hip Hopper that I shed a tear for was Jam Master Jay.....I don't even care if motherfuckers think I'm a sensitive cornball either..

Gangstarr Forever-

D