Monday, June 20, 2011

" 5 Sure Shots "



95 % of the time I will listen to something before I decide to post it up.....Back in the day you could rely on certain labels, artist, producers to deliver the goods without question, but these days even your most respected dudes occasionally drop mediocre joints or sub-par music....

Instead of randomly skipping through tracks, I actually take the time to analyze someone's entire project....Don't get me wrong, if I hear weird frequencies from the gate I might hit the eject button extra quick...But generally I give most albums that come my way an honest listen......

Here are my favorite cuts from a couple 2011 albums.....

1..Blaq Poet - "Bushmaster Music" featuring Vinny Paz & Lateb......

Stu Bangaz & Vanderslice did a nice job on the production of this album (Blaq Poet Society).....Of course I would rather hear "Po" killing Preemo beats, but these two create some sinister shit that deserve attention....My only complaint with their production style is that it starts to sound a little repetitive at times (A lot of the songs rock piano samples, and many songs sound as if they have the same tempo)....

On this joint right here though, the rhymes synch up perfectly with the evil sounding backdrop......Sure shot single status if you ask me...



2..Imam Thug - "Remain Calm" produced by Hazardous Sounds.....

I wish Imam & Tragedy would come out with another "Iron Sheiks" project.....

During that period they were both rocking over grimy, sample based beats that pushed the boundries of drama rap.....On Imam's newest mixtape (Mixcake) he chose to rhyme over synth heavy tracks (For the most part) that do not compliment his style in my opinion...But on this song he goes back to basics and the results are impressive....



3..DJ JS1 - "Life Word" featuring OC....

JS1's new album "No One Cares" had it's moments and this is one of them.......OC pays homage to Roc Raida and other fallen soldiers that passed away before their time on this sure shot.......

I'm diggin this one..

height="28" id="divplaylist">

4...Vast Aire - "Nomad"...

This song that was produced by Kount Fif sounds like it's from a lost session from "The Cold Vein"......Metallic, futuristic, simple, raw, and most importantly original.....Out of all the songs on "OX 2010: Street Odyssey" this one caught my attention the most......



5...DJ Premier - "John T".....

This instrumental is from "Beats That Collected Dust 2 ".......Guru would have definitely blessed this (RIP)...



6 comments:

Donaleski said...

Yo D,

good review ma G. Its pretty hard indeed these days to find decent rap muzik.
I have to say the Bushmasta track is probably the best from this nu Blaq po record. The shit is good production but a bit monotone tho, all the same way thru - very hardcore, very Baq Po actually.
This Mixcake is very Imam, very Thuggish I must confess despite the bounce the fuck up movement is on, the title with Craig G is a disappointment, I'd expect more tightness from a QB combo.
Vast Aire & DJ S1 didnt really catch my attention.
As for the Premier's beat, that reminds me the Easy Mo Bee/Gangstarr' Soul - Guru would have murdered the track, I feel you on this one.

Peace homeboy, keep postin'.

Donaleski said...

Regardin that Imam's Mixcake, I wus expectin the "Freddy Krueger" track too which is a fire in which u burn slow:

http://hulkshare.com/3adjriyx1rtw - a true banger!

Drasar Monumental said...

THANK YOU BRO.......THAT NEW NAS TRACK "NASTY" IS FRESH TOO, BUT IT'S NOT ON A ALBUM YET OR I WOULD HAVE INCLUDED IT.....

YO WHERE ARE U LOCATED DONALSKI ?

PEACE-
D

Anonymous said...

my boy 2 mixes big up alter ha http://soundcloud.com/klues73boston

Donaleski said...

I been livin in Thailand for years but bout to head up to France in a few, makin a nu life & dollars…

U feel that Nas'track too? I may need to give a listen again…

Have a good day Sir

Drasar Monumental said...

DAMN THAILAND.....

ALWAYS WANTED TO TRAVEL OUT THERE.....THANKS FOR CHECKING IN FAMZ...

-D