Tuesday, April 26, 2011

" Digging With Drasar "



Before going to the office today, I decided to get my weekly digging in.....Here in Vietnam, California there are plenty spots that are holding the goods.......Second hand stores, Salvation Army spots, garage sales, and of course the almighty mom and pop joints that have managed to stay open somehow...

I have never been the type of cat that spends a ridiculous amount of papes on vinyl...Instead, I go the extra mile to find that heat for cheap (Same goes for kicks)........You would be real surprised at how many burners are right under motherfuckers noses at bargain bin prices....

This wild and crazy punk rock cat I know named Bandon (Yeah, Bandon not Brandon HAHA) has run "The Works" record store for over a decade (And they have a nice wall of paint on the premises)......



He has blessed me with an insane amount of drum breaks, creepy organs, and very entertaining O.S.T's over the years.....

Plus we both share a deep appreciation for hardcore music...



WOW......The very influential Swedish punk rock outfit, "Discharge"...These dudes were so influential they practically invented their own brand of hardcore entitled, "D-Beat"..............After they came out and stirred things up, many bands included "Dis" in their name as a way to pay homage to the originators (Disclose, Disarm, Disgust, Discard, Dispense, etc)

"Drunk With Power"....Pinnacle Records 1982-1983.





Next up to bat we have the heavily slept-on Paten Locke.....I remember first catching wind of his music when he worked with the group Asamov...Now he is affiliated with Tres Records and he continues to churn out creative Hip Hop.....

On this cut right here, "Funky Hit Record" he lets it all hang out with an avalanche of style, wit, and charisma (No Homo)......I also have to add that he produced this himself....WIN...

"Funky Hit Record" 2009 Tres Records.....





If your looking for drama to sprinkle on your beats, look no further than a soundtrack record......Texture, suspense, mystery and all that other shit can be found on a fly O.S.T.

For instance the soundtrack to L.A. Woman 2 is ripe for chopping...The orchestra was conducted by Sven Gyldmark and I suggest you give this a thorough listen if you know what's best for you....

"Lonesome & Scared" 1969





And last but not least is the O.S.T. to the French movie, "Umbrellas Of Cherbourg" by the legend Michel Legrand........I can't even understand what the fuck they are saying, but the music has a beautiful movement to it that puts me in a hopeful mood....Plus when a woman sings in French- they get my undivided attention (YA FEEL ME)....

Perfect for a trip down memory lane or a late night stroll through the city...

"The Gas Station" 1964



And I didn't cop this particular record, but the ill cover had me open.....

1 comment:

donaleski said...

I had to cover this one too D! Especially when it comes to the mofockin cinematic ish, I truly dig the soundtrack vibe.

Good looks as usual ma G n thanx fo the diggin...