Wednesday, March 30, 2011

" Mode 2 Speaks "



When I ran into Mode 2 at the Aero Soul 2 art exhibit a couple months back I didn't really know what to expect.....I had heard that he didn't really like taking pictures, but how often does Mode come to California ?

Fuck that, I was determined to get a flick.....Not on some weirdo fanatic shit, nah just simple admiration for the amount of work he has put in over the years......So I ran up on dude right before I was going to hop on the decks..."What's up Mode, blah, blah, blah would you mind if I took a flick of you brother"......

His reply was "Uh, uh, I stopped taking pics since 1996"........At first I was stunned by his reaction......So I just kinda stared at him and gave him the gas face / screw face special......You gotta understand something before I even go further with this shit...I'm not the type of dude that runs up on everybody and whispers in their ear for autographs...

Not because I'm unable to humble myself in the presence of greatness....It's because in my mind we are all great....Even you weirdos that behave like motherfucking savages are great in your own right...Everyone has a talent, it's just that some people are unable to tap into their inner greatness (More on that in a future book or something)...

Anyway, he smiled at me and I just turned around and chuckled to myself on the way to the D.J. booth..........I quickly forgot about that little episode and started flipping through my record bag to get it popping......My set is groovy, people are snapping their fingers, girls are bobbing their heads and all that other fly shit........

I decided to throw on a JVC Force cut, "Strong Island"...........Instantly heads perk up a little bit more and the room gets a little steamier.....Guess what happens next ?...........Your boy "Mode" rolls up on me and gives me dap and a motherfuckin salute...

Fast forward to the next day-

I see Mode again, we crack a few jokes about Hip Hop ..... I mind my own business, pull out my trusty camera and take a flick.....HAHAHAHA......



Format Magazine caught up with the Chrome Angelz general for a round of discussion.....

CHECK IN...

No comments: