Thursday, February 23, 2012

" J-Zone's Top Ten Sample Flips "



You kids have it easy in this day in age....

When I was coming up Hip Hop was all about secrecy....During the Pre- Internet era you had to be connected if you wanted the jewels to get passed down to you..All the way from the kicks to the illest new mixtapes, you had to be on your motherfuckin toes in order to be in the know..

Now you can click a button and find out the sample source of a particular record within seconds.....CRAZY...

Things have definitely changed, but I'm not complaining at all especially when you have cats like Large Pro, Lord Finesse, K-Def, and J-Zone going in....

" Ultramagnetic MCs – “When I Burn” (Next Plateau, 1988)
Producer: Ced Gee

The funny shit about this, I didn’t actually own Critical Beatdown ‘til 1993. I had Funk Your Head Up and The Four Horsemen first and then went back to get this. I always loved the “Cookies” break beat and I’d started making beats already, so I’d always try to loop it. But there was that loud car horn at the end of the loop that kind of threw it off. I heard this and lost my mind. Ced Gee chopped it at the snare and got the effectiveness of it as a drum loop and cut out the horn. Plus he piled all that other crazy shit on top. I still want to flip “Cookies” so bad, but I’ve never come up with anything that can top this. From the first three Ultra albums to Tim Dog’s Penicillin on Wax, Ultra’s shit has never been duplicated ".

READ THE REST HERE....

No comments: