Sunday, December 27, 2009

" When Llamas Attack: Re-Up "



Hip Hop is funny sometimes...People praise mediocre M.C.'s, while true wordsmiths search aimlessly for the props that they deserve...

We are living in the " Dick Rider " era...Fools become overnight sensations without even dropping an album...Style over substance is common occurrence in a Hip Hop landscape that has become one big fashion show circus....

Every once in awhile a rebel emerges through the storm to inform the unassuming public, that Hip Hop can still be creative, original, and most importantly though-provoking....

" Selfish " from the Green Llama Crew dropped one of the best albums ( Uncut Raw ) of the last decade, and it's a motherfuckin crying shame that his name doesn't ring bells like it should....I had the opportunity to build with him on a recent trip to Chicago, and I was impressed with his Hip Hop knowledge, attitude, and over all demeanor...

It's not often that HIP HOP BATTLEFIELD puts the stamp of approval on new artist, but if you take one listen to " Uncut Raw ", you would have to agree that this is 21st century hardcore in pure form....

So without further delay, here is the interview I conducted with " Selfish " in 08....Salute to the city of Chicago for being so fucking gully ....

.{HHBF}...I'm really feeling the Uncut Raw album. It's been on heavy rotation since I got it.....The song "Fortune Cookies" caught my attention.......You are dropping heavy jewels on this one......What's your approach to crafting lyrics?

{Selfish}..I like the beat to speak to me initially and paint a picture in my head that I want to put into words. Obviously sometimes a sample might say something that gives that process a boost, which was slightly the case with "Fortune Cookies" because it had that " reap what you sow " dialogue in the beginning of the track and that was there before I even penned a verse. I'm not big on just writing on the spot most of the time. If it's a collabo track i'm working on in the lab at the moment fucking around that's cool, but if i'm sent some beats by a producer for a project, I like to let it marinate and give the full amount of energy I feel the track desrves. I'm all for spontaneous creativity, but album cuts for the most part, I like to think shit out a little before I put it into words. Occasionally though, I hear something and it all flows out instantaneously, so I will say it's all about the creative energy the track gives me. All my verses for the most part are written specifically for the track they wind upon, based on the vibe I feel from the beat. Then from there I just fill in the blanks...

WW4- FEATURING BUTTER VERSES



..{HHBF}..What's the word on the green Llama crew.. Members and how long have you been recording together?

{Selfish}..Green Llama at first consisted of myself {Selfish} mc-producer, and {Dekay} from Chicago, {Tone Liv} -mc from Jersey, {Fluent} -producer from Ohio, {Vincent Price}-producer from N.C. by way of Florida, {Butta Verses}-mc from Florida, and {Ill Don}-producer from Queens. We initially formed up after a period of getting to know each other online, and seeing if we were all on the same page as far as this Hip Hop goes. Since then we added mine and Dekay's d.j., D.J. Monkey from Chicago, who also does beats, And the one and only {Dibiase}-producer-mc from Cali, who's a beast on production. The name Green Llama came from Ill Don who had some old radio show, him and Fluent fucked around with the name and when the crew formed that was the name they called it. The rest of us kinda wondered where the shit came from, but it caught on and we ran with it. Since then we've flipped meanings and catch phrases, aliases, etc, off of the Llama name. The main thing being that a Llama is known to spit..Whether it be the animal or the firearm, and green symbolizes life and can as well be interpreted as money, whatever you want. Plus a few of us are weedheads, which shouldn't be a suprise. It's nothing too deep, but myself and some of the other Llamas are always building on the meaning behind it, giving it new significance.. Sallama To The Llama's..

[HHBF}..Rubberroom used to be one of my favorite groups from Chicago...Did you ever see them perform live before they disbanded?

{Selfish}...I was blessed with a few opportunities to see Rubberoom do their thing onstage years ago. They brought that heat, plus they they were creators of a very distinct sound. I just seen a couple of them dudes at a show recently. Lumba and S.P.O. some real cool cats. Rubberoom is definitely some of the most classic Chi Hip Hop you can find. Some of the hardest shit you will ever hear. I'd like to hear new stuff in any capacity, group or solo. A big influence on me, as well as many others in my circle..

..{HHBF} What are some of your other Hip Hop influences?

{Selfish}... The first shit that I really remember having a staying influence on me was shit like N.W.A., Public Enemy, Geto Boys. I would see a lot of that shit on M.T.V. Raps and the Box. I was into some of that shit cause older family members put me up on it. Honestly at that point, I was into all the cussing and crazy shit a dude like Eazy E would say. I remember I got good grades on my report card and got the "Humpty Dance" cassette single . A couple years later, it was a "Tribe Called Quest", who were the main ones that had me buggin bout shit seriously.. then Wu-Tang, I'd say the RZA and Wu in general was the first thing that ever made me think about making music myself. It;s too much to list though. Iv'e been into all types of music all my life..........

.{HHBF}...Uncut Raw flows extremely well from one song to the next...Vocal samples, segues, and instrumental pieces give it a cohesive feel..Was this planned from the beginning?

..{ Selfish }....Fluent sent a lot of beats in beat mixes where one track has like 5 plus beats on it, and he would occasionally put shit up on myspace like that..One time he put up this cassette mix that really murdered that style, and from there I knew that was the type of shit I wanted to do with him, cause that's where he excels..He was all for it, cause that's the joint he wanted to do as well, so it was a conscious decision. It's all about keeping the people on the edge of their seats, giving the album a sense of movement, and staying fresh....

..{HHBF}...You make your own beats as well...How long have you been making beats and what equipment do you use?

...{ Selfish}..I first started making beats around 2000, just fucking around with my dude's Asr-10...I was into rhyming first, but by the time I got a beat machine of my own a year or 2 later, I decided I wanted to get deeper on that..My first machine was a Asr 10 pro, and I still got it. Then I moved to a Mpc 2000. Sold it for an XL. Then sold it for a 1000. A lot of beats I make on the 1000.

..{HHBF} What are your views on sampling laws? And where do you think production is headed?

..{ Selfish} I really dont even concider sampling laws when I set out to create something beatwise, and I'm pretty sure that speaks for all of the Llama producers. Really I'm all for the creativity of it..If I'm ever at a point that I need to cough up dough for a sample I'll deal with it. But for now fuck that...As far as me personally I want to see sampling alive...That's what I love, plus it's the foundation of Hip Hop really...You cant fuck with a sample chopped and flipped just right.....

..{HHBF}...Final words, future plans, words of wisdom...

..{Selfish}..We got a lot in the works..I got the sequel to Uncut Raw. A group album with Dibiase on the beats....I got 'Street Trash". the b movie themed Lp from me and Vincent Price....Green Llama album later in the year. I got so many talented people in my circle, I should be busy for the next few decades..Enjoy the music and help us take the music where it can and should be.......

LISTEN TO THE ALBUM HERE...

No comments: