Thursday, April 2, 2009

" Back On The Motherfuckin Set "



My trip to Vancouver, Canada charged up my batteries....I now have a fresh perspective for the 2009 season....If you have never been to " Vansterdam ' let me give you a brief rundown on how they get it poppin out there...
When it comes to record shops ' Van City " is holding....Zulu Records, Beat Street, and several others had huge vinyl selections...Everything from Hip Hop, Jazz, Breaks, etc....But my personal favorite was " Vinyl Records ".....Believe me when I tell you, this record store is fucking out of control....When I hit up the owner, " DJ Dave Jones " for obscure drum breaks, he proceeded to pull out stack after stack of some grimy ass drums....Shit I have never heard before...I'm not talking average breaks that have been flipped a million times, I'm talking open, under the radar, heavy, loud ass drums that would make any B Boy lose his mind...Big up to you " Dave ", for keeping it thorough kid...See you again in the near future HAHAHAH....





When it comes to ill kicks, " Vancouver " is no fuckin joke.....Freshman, Good Foot, FL, Stussy Kicks, Adidas BC, etc....All had a healthy stash of fresh joints....But " DIPT " had me losing my marbles....Air Max's, SB's, Jordan flips, and all types of other shit..Cool store with a helpful staff....Thumbs up...

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to check out " Maestro Fresh Wes " while I was out there...He was having a birthday jam at the same time a Q Bert, Rahzel, Muggs, Supernat show was poppin off....But I did catch the Q- Bert show, and I was very impressed with everyone on the bill.....Muggs fuckin killed it....Supernat and Rahzel actually stunned me..." Nat " is a beast live with all that off the top of the dome shit he does..And you know how " Q " get's down....



And when it comes to that " Dancehall flavor " the d.j's up there know how to keep a party live...At this one club I saw a couple selectors really GO IN....It got so wild up in there that a extremely thick super freak slapped my ass....But since I was up there with my girl on our 5 year anniversary, I had to keep my composure son ( flattering nevertheless HAHAHA )...

All in all " V- Town " is a progressive city with plenty of youth outreach programs. ....They have a Hip Hop camp with a studio for all the disenfranchised kids....Universal health care for anyone that needs medical attention...And if you are a homeless teenager, you can find apartments where you can live for free for up to a year....CRAZY....In America no one gives a fuck about you...If your broke or homeless, the motto is " GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE SCUMBAG "...In Canada, it seems as if the people actually have a sense of community and responsibility...

I am not trying to paint Vancouver as some kind of utopia though.....People get clapped up everyday, just like any other city....Matter of fact, a dude got blasted right down the street from where I was staying...But for the most part crime is relatively low for such a huge population ( over 3 million )....Gun laws are extremely strict, if you get caught with a burner you will be facing a year in prison....Ouch...

So don't believe Canada is all about Whiskey, Hockey, and snowstorms....If you get a chance, check it out for yourself, you will be pleasantly suprised...And when you head to the " New Amsterdam Cafe " tell em that grimy kid from HIP HOP BATTLEFIELD sent you JACK...Peace goes out to those Russian Mafia kids, Klimson, Evo, Dave, BS, Riddim And Spice, Kenya Kids, my girl " Elizabeth " for trooping with me for 5 years: love is love, and the entire city of Vancouver for keeping it live....

No comments: